Yesterday was very busy between running errands and getting ready for a dinner party our family hosted last night. Our neighbors are moving in a few days, and since the packers arrived yesterday to start loading everything up, we invited them over to our house for a meal (yay for more Southern Living recipes!). It was a lot of prep work, but also a lot of fun!! I’m sorry I just met them this summer, they’re very cool people! Our menu consisted of
- Chips and guacamole (2 smashed avocados; lime juice, salsa, and salt to taste)
- Avocado, Tomato, and Mango Salsa with pita chips (we omitted red onion, olive oil, and cilantro and it was still fantastic)
- Beef and Chicken Fajitas (we used this marinade for our chicken only. SL recipe)
- Beef-and-Chicken Fajitas with Peppers and Onions (we used this marinade for the flank steak and peppers. Cooking Light recipe)
- Mexican Rice
- Fruit salad
- Lemon Meringue Pie (My first positive pie experience!)
It was a really fun meal and I was ecstatic the pie turned out well. My mom helped me with the filling, but I was still worried I would somehow manage to ruin it.
I discovered lemon meringue pie is really my thang, but I think we executed it well.
I went to the gym this morning and was looking forward to that Fit Boxe class I chickened out on Tuesday. I gave myself a little pep talk and as I was doing my 30 minutes on the bike I was pumped to try the new class. But it was not to be. For some unknown reason, the class was cancelled today, which really put me in a funk. I was excited to participate in a group ex class again and working out by myself suddenly seemed lonely. I did some exercise I saw in the special summer issue of Self magazine that involved a Swiss ball, and that got a little goofy. I think I managed to cheer up one guy’s day as he saw me struggling hopelessly with my ball, trying to keep it under me as I was laying on top of it on my back.
Not an invigorating workout, but I’m glad I still managed to do something. Next Thursday that class is mine!